Five Star Vagabond

Super travel tips, all road tested by David Herd. I'm an Australian guy who moved to Thailand in 2011 & still travel the world as often as possible.


David Herd family history

Following the Herd

david herd family
David Herd family history or Following the Herd, in 2010 I created a family history book called “Following the Herd” stretching back about 100 years, rather than update the book itself I have decided to replicate it here on my  blog. This will allow me to easily update photos & information as well as giving the rest of my family easy access to all the photos & information. Another great bonus for me is that I can include favorite songs, as well as those I associate with different people and certain times. How many times does hearing a particular song immediately take you back many years in the past?
The photo above is my absolute favorite, on the right is my wonderful Father, Arthur John Herd & beautiful Mother, Iris Joyce Herd, the jaunty fellow on the left is my Grandfather Eustace Charles Herd (Charlie), in the middle my Grandmother and 2nd from the left is the Mother of either Charlie or Nan Herd, I’m not sure which.

If there is a song that describes this photo perfectly it’s this one.

From the book “Following the Herd.”

I am now at a stage in life where I realize how little time we all have on this wonderful planet, I also understand that having produced no children means there is very little chance of anyone remembering David Herd a few years down the track, or even knowing about any of the events that I experienced throughout my life.
Therefore I feel it is important that my memories and recollections of family and friends when I was growing up should not be lost to future generations of the HERD clan. I am one of the few people left who can relate certain stories and insights about some of our loved ones who passed away many years ago.
Part 1, of this book records some of those stories as I remember them, and includes many wonderful photos of family and friends.
Part 2, shows photos of various stages of my life.
Part 3, covers the current generations and shows how similar the children are to their parents & grandparents.
Part 4, focuses on Allan Herd who tells the most incredible story of his World War 2 experience.
Finally, part 5 offers an insight to some of our colorful ancestors.
David Allan Herd August 2010. Update now October 2013.

Arthur John Herd of Norval St Auburn wed his sweetheart Iris Joyce Tippett of Carnarvon St Auburn on 22-6-1941, then 2 years later on July

7th 1943 they produced me.

david herd family
Arthur & Iris Herd wedding

The beautiful couple

david herd family

How young does Iris look here

david herd family
Don’t ask me why, but this is the song I always associate with Mum & Dad. Perhaps it’s because in my eyes their wonderful lifelong love for each other, would I’m sure have had a fairy tale beginning.

Iris Herd on her 16th birthday.

Iris Herd 16th birthday

david herd family

Mum at sweet 16 with her best friend Betty Deves.

Iris & Arthur with baby David.

david herd family

David Herd baptised

david herd family

david herd family   david herd family    david herd family     david herd family

Here are two gorgeous girls.

david herd family

A great photo of best friends Betty Deves & Iris Herd, I’m guessing they were about 18 years old by now.

5th class at Auburn North. David Herd in 1954

david herd family

I was born on July 7 1943. My grandparents’ house was where I spent the first 5 years of my life; the address was 74 Carnarvon St Auburn in the Western suburbs of Sydney – the street number was later changed to 84 when more homes were built. We lived across the road from the local dairy, one of my early memories is being sent over with a bucket to buy 6 pence worth of fresh milk, I was 4 or 5 years old. The dairy covered maybe 20 acres or more hugging the banks of the Parramatta River where all us young kids were drawn to play cowboys and Indians among the mangroves. When the dairy closed down I guess I was maybe 7 years old and the old paddocks became the focal point for all us to play in. Every year we would build a huge bonfire right across the road from 84 and on cracker night hundreds of locals would come and celebrate with bags of fireworks.

Now I mentioned we all lived in Carnarvon St until I was 5, then Mum and Dad built their home at 58 Kihilla Rd, however over the next 7 years I spent at least 50% of the time living with Nan and Pop Tippett. I would walk up the hill to Auburn North school in Adderly St, and along the way team up with some of the other kids from the neighbourhood. Kids like Bobby Hamilton, Ray Smorti, David Fuller and the dreaded Greenhalghs, who more often than not we were at war with. War in those days usually consisted of a rock fight with kids throwing stones at each other picked up from the side of the road and ending when someone copped a ricochet in the head, we thought this was great fun, the danger and possible ramifications never really occurred to us.

David Herd Auburn 1955

david herd family

On the corner next door to 84 lived the France family, there was Barry, Yvonne and their mother, Barry was a couple of years older than I and Yvonne was about the same age. A hundred yards the other way lived Sandra Eagar with her Mum and Dad (Sid Eager was a cranky old bugger, or so I thought at the time). They had a tennis court and were the only people we knew with a telephone, so when anyone needed to make an urgent call this was the place they would go. At the age of 6 I considered Sandra as my first official girlfriend; both our families would occasionally holiday together at Ettalong or Ocean Beach on the N.S.W. central coast.
The neighbours on the other side at 80 were Cleve and Dot with their children Valerie and John. John Anderson lives on the Gold Coast now and has a floor tiling business at Carrara.
In 1955 my favourite uncle Colin, Dad’s younger brother, and his wife Margaret built a house at 78 Carnarvon St, in fact I spent many hours nailing noggins while Colin did the more important stuff. They raised two daughters Debbie and Vickie, Debbie is still in Sydney working as a flight attendant for Qantas, and Vickie has one son and lives in Canada. Col and Marg moved to Merrylands in 1979 and still live there today. Col and I spent many hours playing table tennis on Nan and Pop’s back veranda, we were very competitive and had some super games together.

Arthur John Tippett, aka “Nugget”.

david herd family

One of the best family stories occurred on Mum & Dad’s wedding night. Mum’s brother Arthur, better known as Nug, was getting stuck into the grog as usual at the reception in the Empire Hall at Auburn, he was beginning to get loud and aggressive. Dad was concerned he would disrupt the wedding and with Pop Tippett away in the bush working there was no one to help Dad out of this sticky situation. Consequently as a last resort Dad frog-marched Nug down to the local Police station and explained the situation to the constable on duty. The constable agreed to keep Nug under lock & key for 4 or 5 hours to allow the reception to proceed without any hitches. What could possibly go wrong?

To cover all bases, when dad arrived back at the hall he gave five pounds to Nug’s best mate to bail Nug out after the reception had finished. Now Nug’s buddy who went by the unlikely name of Bedie Fokard pocketed the money and of course completely forgot his allocated task, so Nug wound up spending the whole night and half the next day in the slammer.

When Nan Tippett discovered this cunning plot the following afternoon there was hell to pay, luckily Mum & Dad were safely in Katoomba on their honeymoon. Dad was doubly lucky as he had to report back to his army unit, so to a certain extent he escaped the wrath of Nan. I am told however it was a good 3 months before they got back on speaking terms.
Dad was stationed in Darwin on the search lights and obtained the rank of Lieutenant.

Nugget was the “Black Sheep” of the family.

Arthur Tippet david herd family

 Another interesting story regarding Nug unfolded one evening when Nan, Pop and Mum were listening with interest to a live radio report coming from the Kokoda trail in New Guinea. Nug was serving with the Australian armies 6th division and had not had any contact with the folks at home for some time so naturally everyone was concerned.

While the reporter was speaking you could hear the sound of a motorbike in the background. The astonished reporter couldn’t believe anyone could get a bike so far along the trail because of the horrific conditions. He called the rider over and asked the obvious questions, “what are you doing here on a bike, and how did you get this far into enemy territory”?

A familiar voice bellowed out over the radio that it was just a “walk in the park” for a man of his talent, and you guessed it, everyone recognized the booming voice of Arthur “Nugget” Tippett.

Nug continued his love affair with high powered motor cycles after the war, he bought himself a beautiful triumph and rode every day to the local pub in Auburn. Of course it was like a time bomb waiting to explode and sure enough riding home one night with a belly full of grog he slammed into a car reversing out of a driveway in Station Rd Auburn and wound up in hospital with his leg broken in 3 places along with various other injuries. That was the end of motor bike days, the triumph was recovered from the police station and later sold for scrap.

Nug was the black sheep of the family and we would look forward to news of his latest exploits, he spent years working in remote parts of the country driving heavy equipment and mine shaft elevators. Finally in his 50s he married a lady called Queenie and settled in Tasmania.

It is only in the last few years we discovered through an internet search Nug received a dishonorable discharge from the Army, I have no doubt whatsoever it was probably due to some drunken brawl where an unfortunate officer made the mistake of pushing the little dynamo one step too far. 😳

Two Sams & Nan Tippett.

David Herd family

Sam was Nan & Pop Tippett’s youngest son, with older children Iris (my Mum) and Arthur, (aka Nugget).

Samuel John Tippett

David Herd family

Courage comes in many forms, and for me the word is synonymous with two uncles of mine, Allan Herd whose story comes later in this book, and young Sam Tippett who spent his short life fighting ill health, never once complaining about the cards he was dealt.

Sam was like the older brother I never had, a heart defect at birth turned his life into an endless struggle, however the way he coped was an inspiration to everyone he came in contact with.

Sam was passionate about music, his record collection consisting mainly of 78s numbered in the thousands. He & I would spend hours playing chess and cards while listening to his great music. He survived the major operation shown in this article from the Telegraph on December 10th 1954, then sadly passed away aged 29 in a relatively minor follow up operation 3 years later in 1957. Music is a big part of my life and many times I associate songs with people, times or places.

This is the one that always reminds me of Uncle Sam.

He married a lovely lady Gwen Hopkins, they moved to Brisbane where the climate was better for his health. Just like his father he was a wonderful human being. I am proud to have known them both.

Nine hour heart operation.

david herd family

Nan Pop Tippett & Gwen hopkins

Sam Tippett & Gwen Hopkins marry in February 1955.

david herd family

Sam Tippett & Gwen Hopkins marry at St Philip’s Church in Auburn, February 1955. Fours years after meeting at the local Auburn dance.

Sam Tippett & Gwen marry

david herd family

Sam & Clare Tippett, my wonderful Grandparents.Sam & Clare Tippett

david herd family

Nan & Pop Tippett were a family treasure, my brothers & I always loved living at their house as often as we could. Nan’s cooking and Pops generosity were memories that will stay with my brothers & I forever.

Nan Tippett with Warren & David at Booker Bay.

david herd family

This wonderful lady passed away in 2007 at the age of 104.

There were various boarders at 84 Carnarvon St during the early years of my life. Dad’s sister Thelma was there for a while and I remember a few Scottish guys who were mates of Nug from his army days, most of them were called Jock. One little nervous guy called Ossie lived there on and off over many years, originally he was a friend of Uncle Sams, well Nan made his life misery, when Pop was dodging Nan’s wrath poor Ossie would be the victim. The older Nan got the more she nagged, never us kids, mainly Pop and poor old Ossie. Occasionally Nan would bellow at Ossie and I swear he would jump 6 inches off the ground in fright. I often wondered how he put up with Nan’s constant nagging but in the end I imagine he just had nowhere else to go.

Please don’t get the wrong idea about Nan, there was never a more generous caring person, she bought up a family in the most difficult period in history, the great depression and the 2nd World War. Throughout those years Pop would travel all over the state to find work and Nan would be left to cope with a young family by herself, and with very little money, and one very sick child, my Uncle Sam.

At eight years of age in 1951, most of us kids in the neighborhood joined the Cub Scouts. We would gather in the local hall in Asquith St every Thursday night, this was one of my great childhood memories, and then at 11 we graduated to the Boy Scouts and changed to Monday night. We would go on lots of camps out in the bush, pitch our tents and cook dinner over a camp fire.
Life at 84 was great for a young lad growing up; Pop was always building something in the backyard, a new chicken coop for the dozens of chooks that provided fresh eggs and the occasional Sunday roast, or improvements to my pigeon coop where I used to keep twenty or so homing pigeons.

I recall being horrified when Pop would lop the head off one of the chooks and it would be running in circles around the yard with no head. He also built a large birdcage and kept Canaries and Budgerigars. Believe it or not this cage was eventually turned into a bedroom and younger brother Ian claimed it for himself and spent a lot of time living there as a teenager.

In the early days we had no refrigerator just an ice chest and the ice-man delivered blocks a couple of times each week. It wasn’t until the early fifties when the ice chest was replaced by the “Silent Knight” refrigerator. There was no hot water service, we lit the “chip heater” using newspaper and small chips of wood and waited 10 minutes for the water to heat up.

The toilet was a little shack 10 metres away from the back of the house, a dark gloomy little room that was a haven for red back spiders. The “pan” had to be replaced a couple of times each week by a delivery man who parked outside in his very smelly truck.
There was another unusual service in those days, delivering clothes props, if you don’t know what clothes prop is you can be forgiven. Before the invention of the “Hills” rotary hoist everyone had 2 wires stretched between two structures shaped like a cross, when the clothes were hung out to dry the props were used to lift the wire high above the ground so the washing wouldn’t drag in the dirt.

Cold winter nights in bed were solved with the “hot water bottle”, a rubber container that we would fill with hot water and place between the sheets to warm up the bed. I looked on the internet to see a description of this gadget and to my great surprise I found they are still on sale and being used today.

 Bryan, Ian 7 warren at Ettalong in 1959.

David Herd Thailand

The Herd family in 1954.

david herd family

Iris & Arthur’s wedding reception at the Empire Hall in Auburn Wedding reception

david herd family

My Grandfather Samuel John Tippett.

Sam Tippett

Samuel John Tippett my grandfather, was a hero in my eyes. Born & raised in Cornwall in a small village called Par, he then traveled to Australia as a teenager and joined the army in World War 1. He fought at Gallipoli and was blind for 3 months from being exposed to mustard gas. He had 2 sisters who I met in Par in 1964, I also revisited the village in 2009. Pop Tippett was a battler who raised his family through the great depression and WW2, a man who spent many months in the country during the depression looking for work to support the family at home. One such job was shoveling gravel into rail trucks, for each truck he received the princely sum of six pence. No wonder in later years he suffered intense pain from a bad back. Pop wasn’t a drinker but smoked like a chimney and loved his cup of tea. Pop was born in 1898 & sadly passed away in 1975. He was a man who dedicated his life to his children and grandchildren, each of the 5 Herd boys at some stage when growing up, lived at 84 Carnarvon St Auburn, and were spoiled rotten by Pop Tippett as well as Nan. His was the most generous unselfish person I ever knew, none of us will ever forget this great man.

Pop Tippett in 1926

Sam (Pop) Tippett

Eustace Charles Herd, my other Grandfather.

david herd family

Eustace Charles Herd (28-6-1891 to 26-7-1981) know as Charlie. My grandfather was quite a character, he was born and raised in Grafton in northern NSW and gained the reputation of being a bit of a hell raiser. A terrific rugby league player he represent the state as a half-back and according to son Allan, the only thing that stopped him playing for Australia was being up against the legendary international Chimpy Bush. He moved his family to Concord in Sydney in 1923 to pursue his football career.

Charlie’s medal, premiers in 1919.

david herd family

He was a stonemason and worked on the old headstones at Rookwood cemetery as well as the Queen Victoria building in Sydney.

david herd family

David Herd Family tree

david herd family

The Herd clan at Thelma’s wedding.

david herd family

Colin Ronald Herd 6-4-31, Dorothy June Herd 14-6-33, Eustace Charles Herd 28-6-1891, Thelma Joyce Herd 28-5-27,(the beautiful bride) Eileen Waite 30-4-15, Allan Charles Herd 14-7-17, Elsie Eileen Herd 6-12-15, Arthur John Herd 23-8-19, Norma Joan Herd 6-11-29.

This great photo captures the entire Herd family at Thelma’s wedding in 1954. Charlie’s parents were George Heard, (note the spelling) born 5-10-1856, and Anne Lamb born 23-11-1860. Anne & George married 21-6-1879 and divorced 31-10-1894, which would have been a scandal in those days.

A century later there was another scandal involving Charlie when he passed away. Known as being very frugal all through his life, (probably caused by raising a family in the great depression of the 1930s) the family discovered $40,000 hidden in the old unused outdoor lavatory in the backyard. We all felt sorry for Nan, all those years she put up with Charlie’s penny pinching, only to have a small fortune stashed a few meters away in the backyard at 27 Norval St.

Nan & Pop Herd & the grandchildren.

David Herd Family

Growing up in the 50s.

David Herd Family

Frank Sinatra

To say growing up as a kid in the 40s and 50s was different to now is the understatement of the year, our main entertainment was the radio and the gramophone. Every evening mid-week we would tune into the serials, “Superman”, “Hagens Circus” and “Yes What” were some of the programmes I would never miss. Sunday night was the big night for radio, we would all gather round and wait patiently for the equivalent to today’s Sunday night movie, and we of course only had sound no pictures, in those days it didn’t seem to matter. I have always been a fanatical Frank Sinatra fan and I remember quite clearly how it all began. All the family including Mum, Dad, Pop, Nan and Uncle Sam were fans of Bing Crosby, if you were Crosby fan you did not like Sinatra’s music, so naturally being a cheeky young brat I announced that my preference was most certainly Francis Albert Sinatra, so what started out as my little rebellion became a lifetime of devotion to his music. Much later in life, probably in the 70s I managed to bring Mum and Dad into the fold and they also became great fans, especially Dad. Sadly both these great men, Sinatra and my Dad passed away in 1998 which made it a very sad year for me.

Come Fly With Me.

Come Fly With Me

This fabulous album was released in 1958, I was 15 years old, I firmly believe my travel obsession in later years was originally inspired by the music on this LP.

Arthur John Herd

Arthur Herd

“Berger paints keeps on keeping on”. Dad was a salesman and proud of it, an accomplished public speaker he was calm, smooth with a ton of style. In his teens he was a rugby league winger however the sport he really excelled at was tennis, he had a killer backhand, a good serve and a lousy forehand. We played a lot of tennis together when I was young, he was as cunning as a fox. I remember one of his tactics was to belt the first forehand of the set to try and convince his opponent that this was his fiercest stroke, (most of the time the ball would hit the back fence) of course often the opponent would fall for the bluff and start playing to his backhand. As they say in the classics, “come in spinner”. Dad loved newspapers, particularly the Sydney morning Herald, his favorite hobby was having a bet on the ponies. I can remember hearing about the one that came second, beaten by a nose at the post. Dad was too scientific when choosing his bets, he would always come up with numerous reasons why a particular horse could not lose. His love of form and statistics was the driving force behind his love of horse racing. He had a part time job working at the track on the tote for 30 or so years to supplement the expense of raising five sons. I recall being at Dad’s retirement dinner at The Silverwater Businessman’s club, (apparently now called Dooley’s), someone organised a stripper gram to try and embarrass Dad in front of the 100 or so people at the dinner. (Probably good friends Bruce & Jenny in the photo below) In came the gorgeous girl in a bikini, draped in feathers, and proceeded with her well-practised routine. The shocked look on my mother’s face had nothing to do with the girl sitting on Dad’s knee, it was when she walked over to our table and said to me, “hi David, nice to see you, when are we going out on your boat again”? Yes, it was Shirley one of my recent girlfriends.

Shirl the girl.

david herd family

Slide show of the early years

zulu928’s Fabulous 40s album on Photobucket

Arthur Herd & his clan in April 1964.

david herd family

My poor mother, all she ever wanted was a daughter, five boys later she stopped trying. 🙂

My “farewell” party in May 1964.Farewell party May 1964

david herd family

In fact it was a two purpose party, my best mate Glen Beasley & I were leaving for England on the Fairsea on May 7th, and I would be in London for my 21st on July 7 so this was also an early 21st.

More memories from the early 60s.

david herd family

david herd family

david herd family

david herd family
My VW at Garie beach in 1962, then cutting the cake for my 21st with my beautiful Mum in 1964. Dad give me the key to the house & my good friend from our school days, Lenny Barr & his wife.

david herd family

david herd family

david herd family david herd family
My best friend Glenn Beasley and my lovely Grandmother Nan Tippett at my farewell party in April 1964. Glenn & I sailed for England on the Fairsea, the journey took us 6 glorious weeks, and Oh my, did we have some fun onboard. 😛 Next photo is another friend Gary McKosker who I went through primary school with.
The beautiful blonde was Veronica Crocker, my gorgeous girlfriend in 1962 until a few months before Glen & I left for our overseas trip.

My first car, a 1950 Morris Minor.

david herd family

Please overlook the scratches on this photo, however in 1975 a Sydney gangster fire-bombed my Melbourne home, it was a dispute over a girl, Di Parkinson, he obviously did not have a sense of humor. Back to the scratches, many of my photos were covered in soot from the fire, so the scratches were made when I was cleaning the photographs.

More memories from the 60s.

david herd family

david herd family

david herd family

david herd family
August 1965 with Carol at the Sefton hotel in Sydney. Next photo is at the Hydro Majestic hotel in Medlow Bath with Joan Mifsud. The third shot is also 1965 at the Latin Quarter in Kings Cross, and sadly I can’t remember her name. Finally another shot from 1962 with the lovely Veronica Crocker, my main teenage romance.

Off to the Pyramids.

david herd family

The intrepid travelers.

david herd family

May 1964 on the Fairsea.

david herd family

You guessed it, the old shipboard romance, Leanne Scott from Adelaide.

 Leanne Scott from Adelaide

david herd family


The White Lion Hotel in Cobham

david herd family

Glen & I worked here from August 11th 1964 to November 11th. It was a terrific experience and we met some great people.

7th Engineer on the La Maria.

David Herd 7th engineer La Maria

I was living in London and did not have the money to get back to Australia. So I told a few little untruths about my background and got a job as a 7th engineer on a ship in the British Merchant Navy. I was sent to Antwerp to board the 12,000 tonne vessel which was leaving for America to deliver 1000 VWs.

I was finally scheduled to go on watch at midnight so at 11.45 I slipped into my boiler suit and headed for the engine room. After 10 minutes looking for the damn door to take me below I started to panic a little, obviously I couldn’t ask anyone directions, here I was the 7th engineer of course I should know where to go. I could hear the noise from the huge engine but do you think I could find the right door, no?

I ducked into the bathroom or should I say “the head” for a nervous pee, and low and behold found a 2nd door which turned out to be the engine room entrance. Looking back it made sense that when you finished your 4 hour watch you were usually covered with grease and badly needed a shower, so the first stop was the “head” to clean up before heading to the “mess” or your cabin. Notice how after nearly half a century the maritime language just slips off my tongue.

I reported to the 3rd engineer, a miserable dour sour faced Scot who immediately asked the dreaded question “what ships have you come off lad?”

Here we were 24 hours out to sea heading for America so I knew they couldn’t just throw me overboard so I decided honesty was the best policy. I said “please sit down while I tell you a little story,” and I explained how I had used the truth rather loosely when applying for the job back in London, and in fact I had never been in an engine room in my entire life. His mouth dropped open and a look of disbelief showed on his grease stained face and for a couple of minutes he just stared at me in disbelief.

Finally he growled at me and said “I’ll give you 24 hours to prove to me you can handle the job otherwise I’ll march you off to the Captain and report you.” In the end everything worked out OK, and four months later I left the ship in Rotterdam, (as the 6th engineer) having achieved my goal of earning enough money to pay for my voyage back to my home in Australia.

 David’s slides from the 60s

zulu928's The 60s were sensational album on Photobucket

50 years later I returned to one of  my favorite London Haunts

Warren turns 21 on 13-10-1972.

david herd family

Mum & Dad with Warren on his 21st, his girlfriend was Gail Poulton. Eventually Gail & Warren split up and Warren married Kerry, brother Ian ended up marrying Gail’s sister Sandra, nothing like keeping it in the family. 😀

Congratulations from a proud father.

Warren Herd 1972

The Wasp cuts the cake.

david herd family

 October 13th 1972 at Warren’s 21st.

david herd family

How abut the 1972 hair styles? Warren’s 21st was at the scouts hall in Asquith st Auburn, each one of us were there over the years as a Boy Scout or a Cub Scout.

Warren’s clan October 2005

david herd family

 Michael, Elyssa, Laura & Tim June 2013

david herd family

March 2014

Chinatown Sydney

Lunch at Chinatown

Proud grandfather & Isobell

Warren Herd Chinatown

Warren with Tim’s tribe

david herd family

Ian graduates in 1977.Ian Herd graduatesIan graduated at Wollongong university in 1977 and has worked as a maths teacher ever since. Here he is with the love of his life Sandra Poulton.
Ian & Sandra’s clan in 1988.

David Herd

 Great family photo in xxxx

david herd family

Big family group in Port

Family at Port Macquarie

The Herd Brothers in Port Macquarie in 1997 (I think)

david herd family

Xmas 1993 at my home in Upton St

Xmas 1993 home Upton St We had a great family Xmas at my home in 1993, what a cute bunch of kids. 🙂

Mum & the kids at Kihilla Rd.

david herd family

Xmas day 2000 at Avanti St


 Ian & Sandra in Thailand in zzzz

david herd family

Ian’s family slideshow

david herd family

Shelly Herd ties the knot & becomes Shelly Smith.

david herd family

Great photo of the beautiful bride & the proud father.

Wonderful shot of the family with Mum & Nan Tippett.

david herd family

zulu928’s The 60s were sensational album on Photobucket

 Shelly Justin & the kids.

david herd family

david herd familyzulu928's Shelly Justin and kids album on Photobucket

Tim & Linda

david herd family

 Tim, Linda, Mathew & Alison

david herd family

 March 2014

david herd family

Four of the Herd brothers in 1980

Ian Herd Bryan Herd Warren Herd david herd family

Three of David’s fiancés & 1 who should have been.

david herd family

This is Dianne Butson at her 21st birthday, she was my beautiful girlfriend in Adelaide in 1973, she was a dance instructor at Arthur Murray in Adelaide. Had we met 10 years later things may have been different, but in Adelaide in 1973 I was too wild and have way too much fun to settle down. I’ll always remember her as one of the nicest people I have ever known.

David Herd

Next we have Lee Gregory, my 2nd fiancé who was also an Adelaide girl. We lived together in Melbourne in 1974, it was a fairly volatile engagement as her old Adelaide boyfriend (Brian Braidwood) was always lurking in the background. For some reason I was far too obsessive when it came to Lee, so in a way the relationship was always destined to fail.

david herd family

My third and final fiancé was Karen Smith, a beautiful Melbourne girl, we lived together for 3 years at Newport in Sydney in a wonderful old home perched on top of a hill at 31 Herbert ave. The view at the front was all the way to Lion Island in Pittwater, at the back we looked across the water to Bayview.  We did enjoy many wonderful times together, however in the end our personalities were too far apart. Karen was a delightful, sweet,  quiet lady, where I was a brash outspoken abrasive individual who, as was proved in later years, to not be much good at “relationships”.  😳david herd family.

Finally in 1970, my first fiancé Paula Wills, another Adelaide girl. Paula was an air hostess for TAA living in Melbourne. Our engagement lasted a whole 3 months, and looking back I now realise the engagements to both Paula & Karen were for the wrong reasons. Both times I was tired of the living in the fast lane and thought the time was right to settle down and live a more normal life.  Of course I now know that is NOT the right reason for people planning to marry, that little thing called love is supposed to be the main driver. Oh well, I have a history of making many serious mistakes, these were just two of them.

Bryan’s wedding 1973

david herd family

Bryan’s wedding in 1973 with Warren & Malcolm Frawley

The Herd family with the bride & groom

david herd family

Mum & Dad’s 50th anniversary June 21 1991

david herd family

The family gathering to celebrate 50 years of marriage was held at the home of Bryan & Lynn at Leppington.

david herd family.david herd family.

This photo is worth repeating.

david herd family

 Laura & Jordan April 2014

Jordan Millar

Laura’s photos

zulu928's Laura album on Photobucket

David Herd family history will be work in progress as long as I am on this earth, hopefully when I am pushing up daises some other family member may keep it going, I hope so. Meanwhile I’ll let Glen Frey explain my current state of mind.

Author: David Herd

My history, particularly over the last 30 years is dominated by overseas travel. I sold my home in Australia October 20th 2011 and have have been living in Thailand since then. I don’t know where the time has gone? It seems like you go to sleep one night, wake up the next morning, and 20 years have flashed by. Not sure how many years I have left, however I have enjoyed a wonderful charmed life, and if it all ended today I would leave this world with no regrets. I was born in Sydney halfway through the last century, started my travels in the 60s with the usual U.K. Europe adventure at the age of 20, back to Australia and worked in Sydney, Melbourne & Adelaide in Sales & Marketing with multinational companies including Sanyo, Canon & Remington. Engaged to be married 3 times and never quite made it to the alter, finally realized by the mid 90s I was not cut out for "long term relationships" so I moved to the Gold Coast in Queensland in January 1987, worked for a couple of banks as a Financial Planner, I took a year off work in 1998 to travel and never went back to full time work again, after 25 fun filled years on the Coast I packed up and moved to Thailand. What is the purpose of this blog? Well I really want to use it to record my travel experiences & to display my photographs, give and receive travel tips, comment on places I visit, restaurants I eat in and use it to replace the autobiography I intended to write, apart from all that it helps me fill in my day. :)

Comments are closed.